1.The director tried to get the actors to _ to the next scene by hand signals.
A. move on B. move off C. move out D. move along (A)
2.Thousands of people turned out the streets to _ against the local authorities' decision to build a highway across the field.(D)
A. contradict B. reform C. counter D. protest
3.The majority of nurses are women, but in the higher ranks of the medical profession women are in a _.(A)
A. minority B. scarcity C. rarity D. minimum
4.One thousand dollars a month is not a fortune but would help cover my living _.(B)
A. bills B. expenses C. prices D. charges
5.Many people nowadays save money to _ for their old age.(C)
A. cater B. supply C. provide D. equip
6.The couple has donated a not _ amount of money to the foundation.(A)
A. inconsiderable B. inconsiderate C. Inaccurate D. incomparable
7.The statistics _ that living standards in the area have improved drastically in recent times.(D)
A. proves B. is proving C. are proving D. prove
8.Did you fly to London directly? No, I traveled from Taiwan _ Paris.(B)
A. through B. by way of C. by the way D. in the way
9.Come on , Jack , tell me the story. Don't keep me in _.(A)
A. suspense B. suspending C. suspension D. suspender
10.The football match was _ because of the heavy rain.(D)
A. called over B. called up C. called out D. called off
11.The teacher , with her students, _ discussing the environmental problem.(A)
A. is B. are C. were D. who is
12.The office complex on Broad Street has been __D__ for a year due to delayed construction work.
A. vacantlyB. vacatingC. vacancyD. vacant
13. Upon installation, the software will prompt the user to enter the product _A___, which is located in the instruction manual.
A. numberB. numbered
C. numberingD. numbers
14. Paycheck are __C__ ready for pickup at the front desk.
A. onceB. farC. nowD. yet
15. The plant's ___B__ has doubled since the introduction of automated assembly.
A. upturnB. outputC. drawbackD. overpass
16. If you have ideas for new projects you would like to __A___ for next year, please submit them by e-mail to the business development office.
A. proposeB. acquaintC. practiceD. employ
17. The major products of this company include telephones, appliances, ___D__ other modern conveniences.
A. norB. orC. butD. and
18. Mail carriers are encouraged to ___D__ comfortable shoes while on duty.
A. woreB. wearingC. wornD. wear
19. L&Q Manufacturing would like to build new offices ___A__ the region of the country.
A. inB. upC. againstD. during
20. The architect ___A__ designed the Mori Music Center plans to retire this spring.
A. whoB. someC. heD. also
21. There are five distinct business units ___B__ the Marly Firm, each providing expert customer service in regional contact centers.
A. betweenB. withinC. as forD. because
22. No matter how low you consider yourself, there is always someone ___C__ you wishing they were that high.
A. getting rid ofB. getting along with
C. looking up toD. looking down upon
23. Joining the firm as a clerk, he got rapid promotion, and _A____ as a manager.
A. ended upB. dropped outC. came backD. started off
24. It takes a lot of __C___ to become a good swimmer.
A. trainB. exerciseC. practiceD. performance